Back to the list

Apollona

Apollona Rodos GR

Apollona village acquired its name from the Temple of God Apollo who was the protector of Rhodes Island and fine arts at the time.

The village of Apollona is inhabited by aprox. 1000 residents and has a rich vegetation with more than 70.000 acres of land resulting in the majority of people dealing mainly with the cultivation of olive trees. The cathedral temple of the village, with a vast history splendid hagiographies, memoirs of the saints and its pebbled courtyard, celebrate one of the biggest festivals on the island on the 14th September, honoring the Holy Cross.

The folkloric museum of Apollona is one of the most remarkable ones of its kind on the island. A wide range of domestic utensils, rural tools and impressive ancient objects such as an old olive press, medieval burial stones are some of  its most important exhibits.